In partnership with the Coast Mountain School District, Community LINK is a program of the Kitimat Child Development Centre.
Each school is staffed with a Community LINK Worker who works closely with the students, families, school principals, school staff and community agencies to deliver the services of the program.
Community LINK is a program in place at Kildala and Nechako Elementary schools and Mount Elizabeth Middle Secondary School.
What is Community LINK?
Community LINK is a school-based program that seeks to address emotional, behavioral and social issues that may interfere with a child’s ability to succeed in school, at home and in the community. The program provides individualized support for students and their families.
What Does Community LINK Do?
Community LINK connects students, families, schools and community agencies by:
- Integrated case management, where everyone supporting the student is brought together.
- Outreach work to homes and community agencies.
- Transportation to access various resources.
Strategies to bring families and community agencies into the school.
Coordinating Group Programs:
- Creates group opportunities for development of self-esteem, assertiveness, communication, social skills, and effective relationship skills. Examples of group programming are “FRIENDS for Life”, “Kids Have Stress Too”, “Peer Support Programs”, “Lunch Groups,” “Leadership” and “Homework Room”.
Enhances and compliments current services already existing within the schools and the community:
- Supporting school staff as needed.
- Referrals and support to existing school and community programs.
Continuity of care for students between school, home and community:
- Consistent, on site support.
- An additional safe place to go in the school.
If you are a concerned parent, family member, school staff, social worker, RCMP Officer, or community agent, contact Ms. Vanessa Silva, Community Link Worker at Kildala School (250)632-6194.